Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Q & A: Post-Workout Shake

Q: After I finish my workout I know I have a 45 minute window to get in a Post-Workout Shake, but what is the best if I'm trying to gain muscle?

A: Yes, after you finish your workout you have a 45 minute (roughly) anabolic window in which your body is able to build muscle better than normal. In order to do this you need to immediately drink a post-workout shake with a carb to protein ratio of 4:1. This will provide your body with nutrients to refill glycogen stores (from the carbs) and to rebuild muscle tissue (from the protein).

A simple shake is to mix in a blender is: 1 cup fat-free milk, 1 scoop whey protein powder, 2 tbsp honey or chocolate syrup and a banana. This will provide you with a 4:1 carb to protein ratio.

Have a great day!

Josh

No comments: