Thursday, March 13, 2008

Q & A: How Many Days Per Week To Train

Q: Do you like 3 total body workouts a week or a 4 day split?

A: Personally I like 4 workouts per week anymore than that and a I notice that clients start to get overtrained. All 4 workouts will be total body. I like to do two workouts with 6 exercises(movement patterns) and use undulating periodization. A third workout will be an all BW day with HIIT cardio and grip work. The fourth day will be a high rep (15-50 reps depending) day with HIIT cardio and grip work. With the HIIT cardio I will usually throw in some strongman exercises in the circuit.

However, the number of days I have a client exercise all depends. With some better in shape individuals I will follow a split like I just mentioned, but the the less fit more deconditioned I will just use the 3x/wk with undulating peroidization. All clients that workout 3x/wk will end with a short HIIT workout.

Whether you train 3 days or 4 days per week it really doesn't matter as long as you are dedicated and consistent. Peoples goals will determine the type of program they are on along with other factors. But, like I said consistency and dedication are what bring about results.

Until Next Time,

Josh

No comments: