Monday, January 7, 2008

Q & A: Lower Back and Abdominal Weakness

Q: My lower back muscles are very weak. What exercises can I do to strengthen them?

A: I see this a lot in people. In general most of the population has weak lower back muscles along with weak abdominal muscles. The reason for these muscle weaknesses is a result of sitting too much and poor posture. Along with lack of physical activity. Most people sit all day at a desk, computer, or something similar. While they are sitting there their posture is usually horrendous. Their shoulders are rounded and hunched over. This posture can lead to numerous other issues, besides weak back muscles and abdominals. In order, to correct this you first must start by making a conscious effort to sit up straight and practice perfect posture with everything you do. After that you need to spend a little time each day at the gym targeting these muscles. I like to perform 4 exercises for 105 reps total, that specifically target the abdominals and lower back. I perform these exercises at the end of my workout. I include exercises that require flexing, twisting, and bending of the torso. A sample of this is:

Sit Ups 1 x 25
Wood Chops 1 x 15 each side
Leg Lifts 1 x 25
Hyperextensions 1 x 25

These four exercises target the abdominals in the three movements I mentioned. They will help to improve your abdominal strength.

Try them out and tell me how they work out for you.

Train Smart, Train Effectively

Josh

No comments: